9/27/2003

Stars, Lenses and Fixes

The stars today were amazing, Jackson and I went for our little walk and I couldn't stop looking at Orion's Belt and the other two or three constellations I know, Sometimes I prefer to not know constellations rather than just appreciating the stars and sky as a unit. The stars seem so close and vivid as you look at them and the sky was a such an indigo blue that it constrasted pefectly with the stars shine. I know this is a little hippy for me but it was a really cool sight, especially because as I went to bed I saw a shooting star out my bedroom window. We lost one of Beckham's contact lenses the other day, I didn't think it was the end of the world but Shaubie felt she was responsible for losing it. I was psyched we got this far with out losing one! Shaubie is so good with him that to have one little snag after all the eye surgeries/hospital visits, doctor's visits and countless trips to Denver that losing a lens was the same as getting one flat all season. The bottom line is we won't get the lens until mid-week and then it'll be about a grand to replace. What can you do? I rode the fixy to work today, I may be falling love with another kind of bike. It's a lot of fun and in the pre-dawn light it was pretty cool to roll through town pre-thinking every turn so as to not lay it down with sew-ups that aren't glued very well. Going down the Col du Wellington I was a bit nervous but then I let it go and had no trouble getting around the turn. Check out www.oldskooltrack.com for some cool info on the fixed gear. I may choose to stick with the fixy for the time being and put the FSSP on hold until spring. I'd love to get couplings for it and some nice proper wheels and set it up the way it should be. But for now it'll be the bike it is, cobbled together and beautiful in it's own way.

No comments: