9/25/2003

I really need a new headlamp, this morning on the way in the road bike wanted to hit every pothole and divot on the street. There are a bunch of headlamps that I like but I'm not real sure which one to get. I also would like a pair of knickers from hypnotic designs, but they are way too much cash. Meanwhile I have a bit rot-gut going on right now and would prefer to go home and sleep, so I think I'll go there, walk #1 and then go couch until bedtime. I hope I'm not getting sick, that would suck, I still have two more days of opening before sunday's race. The garage project is still up in the air, I need to get all of the numbers together and see if it's do-able. The town is a big help, the building department guys talk in a way even I can understand...sort of. Sometimes it seems like they want you to re-invent the wheel and then you get more info and realize it's already been done, like the wheel, how's that for circular logic?! The more I think about it the more I want one but the budget is set in stone, anymore money and it's prohibitive. I keep thinking I'll hit the bear on my way to work, he was huge and would probably maul me on principle for hitting him. I know that I'd feel really guilty for hitting him, he is just minding his own business, not that we can fault him for that, drastic reduction in his habitat (read house) can't be his problem so much as ours. I'm not complaining as much as illustrating a point, afterall it was my house he was walking behind, I'm as much to blame as the next guy, but I know I'm to blame. Where my house sits was just a pile of river rock for the last hundred or so years but it's near diminished habitat, so I lump myself in with the trophy homes up on the ridge that took acres from his house. I believe it's the same guy I saw on the Barney Ford (Scott Reid) trail. He was huge. I know in my sleep-deprived state if I hit a bear at 5.30 in the morning that I'd be an instant ragdoll and maybe he'd think of me as deadmeat and not hurt me anymore than the impact with the ground at 20 miles an hour. One of the good things would be to just be that close to a wild bear, to smell what he had for dinner, as long as it wasn't me. To understand how the lack of natural predators allows him to walk with such confidence. I hope Joel reads this it reminds me of the time we saw a porcupine walking on 4 O'clock Road at 3 in the morning.

No comments: