1/10/2005

Lost

I woke up this morning not quite sure what day it was. I checked my watch to see the date and time and still had to think about what was happening. I knew that if I had to work I wasn't late as it was just on 5 a.m. I knew where I was but I still was really confused and had to wake myself up more to figure out, it was monday, I'm off today, I don't need to do much. Well, other than take care of the kid. After I remembered it was just yesterday that I was riding outside, that I got 4 hours and I wasn't wrecked. It was as windy as Carter Lake last year, I was leaning over into the wind to keep from getting blown off the road. Not very many riders out there, maybe 7 or so that I saw. I think the bike worked well but the wind and the iPod drowned out any nasty sounds coming off my grime encrusted drivetrain. As I got further South the roads were more dry and a bit more clear, around Loveland the roads were pretty bad, snowpacked and really wet. Roadbikes and snowpacked roads aren't a good combo. Anytime I turned West the wind would knock my speed down to not more than a crawl and when I turned east it would rocket to 50k/hr. Stiff winds. It was fun to ride alone, just the music and the wind, not suffering as much as working with the wind and avoiding potholes, assholes, and slush piles. The reward for the day was Big City Burrito for dinner, fresh potato and hot salsa for me, never better. We waited to drive home for the kid to be almost asleep, he was out 5 minutes into the drive. Quiet and mellow trip home, except for a bit of snow on the pass. It feels good to start the season in earnest. One long day a week and the other stuff is gravy. I'll try to get to the nordic center today for an hour or so of skating, try.

No comments: