11/20/2006

Veldriden

Rest weeks play with my head, less than two hours on the bike leading into a double race weekend wasn't the best prep. Saturday was tough, I never opened up, too short of warm-up followed by a little bobble early on gave the leaders the gap I couldn't close. I had some help in the chase but not enough to dent the 15 second gap. The photo shows how bad I felt, suffering, not in a good way. Somehow fighting for third was less motivating than the front end. Last lap gap easily gave me third and the series overall lead for Boulder was preserved. Sunday was a different story, plenty of time for a warm up thanks Jared! dialed the course and got to bunny-hop the single barrier 5 times in practice, four hot laps had me super comfy on the track and ready to roll the corners that were too tight to pedal thru. Long road stretch for the start, proper cross style, field sprint to start the race not finish it. Ideal leadout as I got dropped off right at the front for the dirt, separation happened pretty fast. I think the guys who were on wheels and not getting a clear view of the course were reluctant to push for fear of pinching on a rock or thorn. 5 of us were away at the end of the first lap and that became two when the pace was lifted, (Hot) Karl sat on for three laps before pulling thru for a half lap, going in to the single barrier he went left I stayed to the right and hopped it, he bobbled and that was it, I was gone, 4 laps solo with about 20-30 seconds in hand at the line. No mud, tricky turny bumpy fields instead. Cross is cross, life is good, only three left. Bad and good. Saturday was the opener I needed to go well yesterday. I never felt better in a race as I did on Sunday, golden legs and deep lungs. Bunny hopping was fun when and where I needed it. Other times just pushing thru the course, no mistakes aside from bumping the rear wheel on the plank as I hopped. Guys told me afterwards that I gained 50 feet by hopping onthe first lap, no hesitation if that is the time it makes. Fun, fun, fun. I love Cross.

No comments: