11/14/2006

Pre

I keep thinking how cross races make me feel. I haven't really been over this feeling since I started doing it eight years ago. The hour before the race I get really nervouse and nauseous and have to, well, visit the restroom. Then after I warm up a bit it fades until just before the start when the knot returns. Nothing is as bad as getting close to the venue in the car. That last five minutes is the worst. Then I switch into the pre-race mode but I get so wrapped up in the head games I need to play so I don't throw up. Then after the start the whole thing goes away and I race my bike. At the USGP I felt none of this, probably because I thought I didn't have a shot at the win. I was so relaxed warming up doing hot laps and getting ready for the race. It was oddly placid.

No comments: