11/12/2006

Bag

Another one in the bag, I'm over last weekend but I may have to suck it up and get to the PNW for USGP #5 & #6 the point is the fact that I race bikes and if you can get to where the big races are you should. That being said I haven't practiced that this season. The earlier starts of the 35+ races have the family home a lot sooner and easier than waiting around for the 3:15 pm Open start. Last season we had 4 or 5 rough trips home over the ice/snow facotry that is I-70 thru the tunnel. So, I get shit for sandbagging or what ever you want to call it. Read the whole thread, it makes grown men(?) seem like catty little bitches. But is there much difference between going hard for 5th and going hard for 1st? The effort is still there. I have a family, job, responsibilities, why not do the early race and get home at a reasonable hour? Whatever, sour grapes taste like shit. I won yesterday, got the negative thoughts out from last Sunday. I was patient and let the race wind down to two of us, 4 were there early then the pace hurt the rest, smart riding, only one flat on a new course goatheads are always an issue out here. I got lucky that the flat happened in warm up. Clean race, no mistakes, high speed drift on the gravel turns and better off camber stuff than we've seen this season. Small gap late in the race grew enough that I had the time to raise the arms at the line. That's double digits for the year, if you count the one mtb race I got in June. The season's not over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you beat Knapp, Applegate, et al on a good day there is no such
thing as sandbagging in that category. I would agree though that if you can make it to race
against them a few times over the
season then do it! What about
nats this year? Go get em.

Anonymous said...

I think sandbagging really only applies to cats 3 & 4. Pro 1/2 and 35+ are the highest levels you can get to. Old and slow? Do the 35/4.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree. Train more.

34x18 said...

Sandbaggin'? Who the F@#$ are they kidding. 35+ is the most respected group out there next to the Elite Men. Don't make excuses, let the guys who finish second and on down the results be the ones making excuses.