10/29/2007

Sounds

music-Yesterday I didn't hear the music in my head the whole race. Usually I have a song going to help me keep my rhythm and avoid falling out of sync. Some guys race with a shuffle or something like that. I couldn't. 15 years ago when I first started bike racing I had a song in my head the whole season, one song, the bangles doing "Walk like an Egyptian" every race I'd start and sure enough about 5 minutes in the internal speakers would begin " and all the cops are hanging out in the donut shops" mmmmmmm donuts. That didn't happen yesterday, I'm paying for it today, it shouldn't be but it is. I'm only as good as my last race. Bad mindset, bad way of thinking. I will get to 10 wins, it's hard knocking on the door and not getting in two weeks in a row.

I was out of step the whole race. Not putting the pedals right, missing out on the important moves, trying time after time to feel the race in the legs. Pedaling one legged didn't help, my right side is so jacked I can't put my shoe on today. I need to listen better to the sounds of the race, put wheels to right at the right time. Maybe I got all of my good rides out this summer and I need to start from the beginning and create new ones. Rethink and re-evaluate the program.

Now I'm listening to the sounds of the computer and the heater system and the hum of the monitor, tuning in to the whole orchestra, trying to figure out if it's a minor or a major, happy major, down minor, in my head it's a bit of a minor third today, the interval is working out as the day gets started. The tonic is playing as I try to get going.

No comments: