12/12/2006

Next

I think the season being over has renewed my interest in the off season, I know that sounds stupid but bike racing is hard, people show up to race, some win, some don't and the guy crossing line is finished. Simple enough, no? Well, with the season being over I get to do what regular do all year; eat wings, drink an extra beer, holy shit I stayed up late last night! That was cool, I felt like an adult, we ate dinner at 9.30 and didn't stress about it. What a decadent lifestyle, this whole adult thing. I get too into the bike racer-monk life that I forget the sweet taste of life outside two wheels. Not that I'm this pious budha in training but the off season however short it is makes me feel uneasy. I like the structure, almost like a veal without the pen keeping it's muscles(flesh) supple, I like being on a tightrope between fit and sick, this time of year it's; hey whatever you want. I never stray from food at any point in the season, I did forego bearclaws for cross season, they kept giving me rot-gut so I stopped. On account of my super-furnace my weight doesn't switch up a whole lot. I should try to rest more and see if I can get into a pseudo-hibernation coma, how cool would that be a like a bear or a trout for two weeks, rest and relax in a vegetative state only waking to eat and evacuate. That is the rest I need all year, or maybe all the time. I want to put on a few pounds, maybe I'll switch to gravy in my coffee instead of half&half. And put sour cream in my sandwiches and mayonnaise, I could deep fry eggs and bacon for breakfast and... Silent sports are here, as soon as the body is done being sore from a season of racing. I'll get out and ski and run and snowboard. Base starts in two weeks, nothing too fast or hard. Time out there doing whatever it is. Get slow for a few months so I can get fast later in '07. Big things for next year, stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jared Roy said...

I read on a sign today. There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. I think bike racers swing far to the mental illness side.