12/29/2006

Early Out

Perfect ski, I had a commute that couldn't have been better. Touring skis, fresh snow and a narrow trail. The best part was I did it solo without a stop other than to shed a layer, better trails better skis to come. A perfect way to get in on the last day of work b4 another long weekend. I came around a corner on the trail to see a 175 lb beast in the middle of the trail up a small rise, not real sure if it was a bear waking up for a snack (me?!) mid-hibernation or a stray yeti-like dog out for a morning stroll, I greeted him from a distance and made sure he knew I was there, he didn't want to be off the trail anymore than I did, I slowly skied up to him and passed him as I accelerated away I got to see that it was a really big dog, not a bear and he was old and hobbled, I wanted to make friends but I needed all my fingers and blood too. I moved on down the trail, bad ski for batteries, the iPod and the camera were dead, I had more stuff to hear in the woods. They were so quiet though, not much sound at all, my breathing and a few squirrels getting some breakfast, I like that, silent sports at their best. I wish I had pics to show how amazing it was, no camera though. After how blown out I feel from a 90 minute ski I know I have some work to do b4 I'm ready for the Commando Run. I'll Need to ski to and from work a few times to get the time in for that tour. The body needs more winter work April isn't too far off. Goals like the Commando Run are ones that are going to make me fitter for the first races, after that it all falls together into long rides some with gears and some without. Ready? I can eat and drink a beer without guilt tonight, I did my work and the weekend holds more of the same. Stay out of the way, town is way too crowded, explore some new trails and avoid main street at all costs. A night tour or two, no chance of seeing anyone then. Maybe I'll see the yeti-dog again. I got one photo off before the camera died, here is the trail early on more near the start.

No comments: