3/25/2005

slow path

i can't really sleep any more than i have been but i'm always tired. every night it seems the moon bathes our bedroom in an inky glow that wakes me up every 90 minutes. not in a panic like i overslept but to appreciate the quiet light in the room. maybe my old age is creeping in on my sleep patterns, i feel better than i did at 21, i'm far from it, more near 50 than 21. i like to see the moon as i ride to work almost more than i like to see the sun. i see the sun a few weeks a year at that hour. the moonset (is that a word?) as i rolled in today (5 degrees fahrenheit) falling behind the peaks was otherworldly, the headlight was for the delivery and garbage trucks not to hit me not to find my way. that same inky glow from the octopus, that was shaking me awake was guiding me in to work. the same way over the fresh snow that fell last night it too turns blue with the octopus' ink, all so peaceful. crunching beneath my tires, quietly letting me pass over. not the ugly black ice of yesterday. the clean, blue inky snow of today.

No comments: