5/21/2004

old

this is piece of a short story i was trying to resurrect: A few weeks ago after a good nights sleep I vaguely recalled a dream that reminded me of a night in high school. John and I had gone out and after a hour of looking for stuff to do we ended up just listening to music and driving around. Nothing overly memorable but good mellow classical from the radio. Not really recalling what happened next I decided to call John and find out what happened next. Since we still live in the same town it was no big deal to call and ask him if he remembered that night. I gave him all the details I could recall. We talked for about an hour and he had absolutely no recollection. Another few details and still nothing! I tried and tried but no memory of the night came to him. I got off the phone and tried to remember if that really happened or if it was a dream. I got to thinking and never moved off the couch all day. I thought about the music and the driving and how we just sat there silently and listened. I went ot sleep thinking about that night. Now it has happened again! Another dream about a night in college this time. A little more memorable this time. Joe, Smithy, and i went to the bar and met these locals who swore that they could drive all the form the bar across town to the bowling alley backwards! So after much coaxing we convinced them to give it a shot. They had an old pickup that would blend in with the other cars in our little college town. Out of the parking lot they went up the street, the driver with his arm over the seat as though he were just looking to parallel park. All the way across town until the cops saw them going 45 backwards! The chase was on! The amazing thing was the locals in the truck never spun around to go forward! They just kept going thru town until they made a wrong turn, they meant to go left and went right, probably confused from going backwards for a few miles! Well, they flipped the pickup and spent a night in the hospital. Nothing serious, just a few scrapes and a scar on their driving record. I looked up Joe and Smithy, feeling nostalgic for a second day in a row. Once again after an hour or so on the phone, nothing! They weren't too hard to find, a quick e-mail and a fast reply, revealed that they didn't remeber this night. Now John not remebering Our driving night was not hard to take but this night was a bit more memorable, and nothing again. I was losing it! I tried to get in touch with friends but all the sudden all my memories were dreams. Only they had recollections that I recalled after prodding but they didn't remember any of the ones I brought up. I was just a witness to their memories, not them to my own. My dreams were getting more and more vivid, I had a whole other life in my dreams, a whole other set of friends and a whole other place to live, to eat, to work, everything! My waking life lost appeal, I wanted to sleep all the time. That life was so much more exciting, I was the center in that life, the one who had memories that others recalled. Things were more interesting in the sleeplife. Nobody forgot what we did in the sleeplife. I could say "hey remember six years ago when we went to Dorney Park and rode only the loop and spinny rides to see who could puke the most?" The whole group would remember every little detail, and add on to the story details I had forgotten! As I fell asleep I could pinpoint where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do, and who I wanted to see. I took another job that would allow me to make enough to eat and pay rent. I only needed to work a few hours and that was all I needed. Everything else was taken care of in the sleeplife. As long as my waking body was nourished and housed I was fine. I slept about 18 hours a day, and worked three days a week. All I wanted was sleep. I lost touch with the waking world, It was only work and food. i hope it makes some sense. thanks for reading.

No comments: